Digitalization – a guide to accelerating change
Helping you make the right choices in digital transformation
Technology is evolving at an astonishing rate, transforming our daily lives. Today, everything can be accessed in just a few clicks – information, news, products and services. For consumers, the digital world is fast and convenient. But digital technologies go way beyond that.
Meeting the changing needs of our customers, energy distribution and internet connectivity are vital elements. Resilient infrastructure must be driven by digitalization.
Following up on my colleagues Amina’s and Anton’s insightful posts about how digitalization is playing a pivotal role in writing the future and creating value even in these challenging times, I lay out several ways in which ABB Electrification is providing practical support to our customers through our digital solutions.
- Simplicity: With a multitude of technology changes occurring over the last few years, it is common for companies to get daunted by the idea of a full-fledged digital transformation. To help them overcome this challenge, our digital offerings simplify the process as they provide “plug and play” solutions that are easy to implement.
- Speed of execution: Digitalizing operations doesn’t have to be a long and tedious process. Our offerings are easy to integrate and can be deployed faster resulting in early tangible benefits. Current times also call for faster deployment of digital solutions that will add value especially in critical industries.
- Flexibility: Digitalization is only useful if it caters to customers’ specific needs. Keeping this in mind, we ensure that our digital solutions are flexible, can be easily customized and are scalable. We also feature a subscription-based model.
- Focused support: Delving deeper into responding to customer needs, our dedicated digital solution center offers pre-engineered solutions which, in turn, supports our customers to deploy digital solutions for specific vertical need across a range of industries, such as oil and gas, food and beverage and mobility.
- Affordability: While digitalization can involve steep investments initially, our digital solutions are affordable as they can be customized and scaled according to specific needs.
Digital has become an indispensable part of business. Every smart and connected device at a site is collecting data. Data is the fuel we use to create our services. Data analytics makes it possible to collect actionable insights from the enormous amount of data collected, resulting in improved decision-making.
Technologies like the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) are crucial. Through ABB Ability™, we are utilizing such technologies to help our customers speed up their process of digital transformation, to be more resilient, sustainable, and efficient. Let’s look at some of the top products that are helping our customers thrive utilizing digitalization:
- Energy Management: Countries across the world are sharpening their focus on sustainable use of energy to tackle the impacts of climate change. ABB Ability™ Electrical Distribution Control System (EDCS), an energy monitoring solution for commercial and industrial buildings, can help businesses save up to 30 percent on operational costs. It identifies waste of energy and reduces energy consumption while also promoting sustainability, helping achieve international certifications of energy management.
- Asset Management: This plays an integral role in increasing the reliability and availability of assets. ABB Ability™ Asset Health for electrical systems – MyRemoteCare a system that offers condition monitoring of assets and provides access to real-time status of each relay or other appliance within medium voltage switchboard around the world from the comfort of your desk, improving safety and reducing costs.
- Building Management: In today’s environment, maintaining an efficiently managed building is not enough. Intelligent solutions are more important than ever as they provide real time information to multiple stakeholders who need to take swift decisions to ensure security, safety and comfort of occupants as well as to protect the longevity of assets. ABB Ability™ solutions for buildings enable better management, customize features of building according to user insights and heighten security through remote monitoring.
- E-Mobility: The increase in the use of electric vehicles (EVs) also highlights the need for reliable and fast-charging solutions. ABB Ability™ connected chargers enable fast global service and pro-active maintenance. ABB has years of experience in creating, installing and maintaining charging infrastructure, including several nationwide charger networks.
We are continuously improving our portfolio through innovation and acquisitions. This is reflected in our recent acquisition of Dublin-based Cylon Controls, which has built on our smart building management offering.
We have also just launched a new, dynamic, online platform called ABB Connect Partner Hub to connect customers directly with key professionals, such as system integrators, and ABB AbilityTM digital solutions and services.
During these unprecedented times we are also offering some of our digital solutions for free this year to help our customers through these challenging times.
Digital transformation is a necessity, and with the right partner, support and expertise behind you it can be made much easier.